How many times have you heard these old clichés…“You can either keep paying your dues, or you can decide for it to be pay day.”…“It’s time to put up or shut up.”…“It’s time to fish or cut bait.”? Well, what happens if you’re tired of “paying your dues”, but “shutting up” isn’t an option? If plugging along while hoping to hit pay day just isn’t going to cut it anymore, but you’re not a quitter, and you absolutely refuse to give up on your dream or settle for your current situation, then what do you do? What next?
Well, as far as I can see, when negotiating isn’t an option, forcing a quantum leap becomes the only remaining solution. I’d like to share some thoughts today for those of you who are ready to create your own quantum leap.
Here’s the deal: a quantum leap must begin in your mind. Until your mind can conceive and believe in radical change, it will never take place in your reality. And it usually begins with misery. Yes, misery. Why misery? Because until we are absolutely miserable with our current situation, we won’t fight off human nature enough to step out of our comfort zone to create change. Unless we get so sick and tired of our current circumstances to the point that we think we might explode, we will never reach the point where we’re actually willing to make life-shattering changes. Like completely overhauling our approach to life kind of changes. What I’m talking about doesn’t necessarily involve doing more….it involves approaching your situation from a different angle and doing things differently.
Remember, regardless of your title, position, status, bank account, or any other worldly ranking, frustration is relative, and a rut is a rut. You could have the whole world looking up to you and still be frustrated, because frustration and fulfillment come from within. Here’s how my online dictionary defines frustration: “a feeling of disappointment, exasperation, or weariness caused by goals being thwarted or desires unsatisfied.” Ever been there? Well if you’re tired of incremental, barely noticeable progress, and you’re ready for quantum leap progress, here are some things to keep in mind:
- In your climb to the top, you don’t necessarily have to start at the bottom. The climb to the top doesn’t have to take as long or be as hard as you might imagine. The “top” could be even bigger and more amazing than you are currently envisioning.
- Realistic is what you make it. You may be barely making ends meet right now, about to crumble under the pressure, because you just can’t take it anymore. With that kind of struggle, it may be hard to envision security, let alone life balance and abundance. But it is just as possible for you to have that kind of life as it is for anyone else.
- If rewriting your life and redefining yourself is necessary for you to experience victory, then the only way to change your situation is to change what you do with your time. Regardless of what your bank account and circumstances say about you right now, we’re all on equal footing with the resource of time. What you do with your time – day in, day out, every day, on a daily basis, on your seemingly most hum-drum, mundane days – is prophetic of the life you will live. Because the way you do anything is the way you’ll do everything. Are you investing your time to create change? Or are you spending every moment just hanging on, maintaining your existence, and managing your current state of affairs? Time is the most precious commodity we’ve got, and you can’t get it back once it’s gone. So, are you investing your time to create a payoff, or are you spending it with no return?
- Right now, in that one thought on time, I know I just lost some people, because many people do not feel in control of their time. We’re going to devote our entire convo to that one topic next time, but for now, let me just encourage you with this: even if you feel like your life is spinning out of control and you have no idea how to stop the madness, you can fix the problem. There is a solution to everything – if you’re willing to dig deep enough. Many people suffer through life in complete defeat because they wrongly assume that they have no choice. But that doesn’t have to be the case. You can either look at every obstacle as reinforcement of your defeat, or as the necessary training that makes you stronger and teaches you to fight for what you want instead of rolling over and accepting loss. Think Karate Kid!
- You will never outperform your beliefs about yourself. I once heard it put this way, “You will never earn $100,000 with a $30,000 mindset.” Do you believe you will lose all of that weight? Even if you’ve got 300 pounds to lose? Do you believe that you can or will ever earn $10,000 in a month? How about $80,000 in a month? Or $1 million per month? Do you believe you can overcome your fears…whether you’re afraid of people, heights, public speaking, being alone, or anything at all? You see, your subconscious mind can’t tell the difference between what is real and what is imagined. It only knows what is real to you – even if it’s not actually real anywhere else. So, if you think you can’t ever earn that kind of money, you’re right.
- You’re thinking too small. Regardless of what you’re thinking. Period. So, quit settling for what you’ve got, and start insisting on what you want.
- It’s impossible to think too big – you just need the appropriate ideas and plans to support the goals. The ability to create something out of nothing isn’t just for the chosen few – it’s for the few who choose. And if you think about it, it’s not really creating something from nothing. According to the currently accepted laws of science, energy is never created; it’s only transferred, right? Well, technically speaking, thoughts are energy, so all you really have to do is transfer the energy from thought or idea form into a marketable form…then voila! You’ve created “something” from “nothing”! Professionally speaking, this may involve starting your own business, or becoming the best within your existing position.
- It doesn’t matter what your degree is in – or even if you have one at all. A great education is important, but it won’t make or break you unless you allow it to serve as the lid on your life. Thomas Edison never made it past a formal first-grade education, but his hunger for life and learning and discovery drove him to become one of the most influential people in history. Get out there and educate yourself!
- The world makes way for people who know where they’re going. If you don’t have a laser focus in any specific direction, you’ll piddle and wander through every day, creating little more than a blip on the radar of life. But if you aim for a specific target and chase after it with force and velocity, straight as an arrow shot from a bow, you will create a force in the air around you that propels you through the atmosphere and cuts through any obstacle to reach your intended destination. You decide who you want to be: the Tasmanian devil or a launched rocket. Both expel amazing amounts of energy, but only one ever gets anywhere.
- There is a difference between fighting for what you want and scrambling to keep all the balls in the air. One is proactive, and the other is reactive. One is strong, the other is weak. One is invigorating, the other is exhausting. One creates victory, the other wreaks havoc.
As far as your quantum leap goes, anything is possible. No matter who you are, what your past says, or what anyone around you says. You can create any kind of life you want, if you’re willing to work hard enough and pay the price. Hard work is nothing to be feared. It’s a rare commodity in today’s lottery-minded world. In fact, a wise proverb calls a lazy man a fool. But your goals must be specific, measurable, and rooted from within. Do some soul-searching to decide what kind of life change you could become passionate about, and then use that passion to kindle a fire within you that turns the heads of everyone around you.